Friday, June 17, 2011

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

 This week I have been working at the GBK soccer camp. It was really interesting because none of the kids could speak english... I was coaching the 6-8 year old kids with a few of my teammates.  This was a great experience because I new I had to get really creative teaching these kids.  How do you coach when you can not speak to each other? The great thing about soccer is that it is a universal language; you do not need to speak to understand.  I did a lot of technical work with the kids and I used sound effects and clapping when I taught.  It was almost like constantly playing simon says.  The kids imitated everything I did with the ball and really got the hang of some of the footwork.  It was really neat watching them; they completely understood me.  I also had one of the girls (Laura) translate for me if I needed it; she was great.  I definitely learned a new way to coach.  The kids seemed to really enjoy it and to me that is the most important part. Fun...If its not fun, its not soccer.

On wednesday we had a game verse ONSONS is a good team; they were technical and had some speed up top.  They had an early goal but we responded in the last five minutes of the first half.  I thought we had most of the possession of the game and created more dangerous opportunities than they did.  The whole team fought hard and we dealt with the speedy forwards.  The game ended 1-1.  I am glad we came away with a point.  It was a long ride to the game but a fun bus ride.  I love hanging out with the girls and we are really bonding as a team.
 Now we have a cup game tomorrow in Helsinki.  We are fit for the fight and ready to go. After the game Jamie and I are going to SWEDEN!!!! We have the week off and are going to visit my best friends; they are some of the greatest people I know.  I am so excited to see them, see where they all grew up and experience swedish culture.  The adventures continue! 
                        
                         
                         



No comments:

Post a Comment