Sunday, July 1, 2012

"thinking about absolutely nothing when it's absolutely necessary"

In Soccer news we had a game verse Gamla Uppsala and won 5-1 and then we ended the first half of the season beating Lidingo 4-3.

 Lidingo was an extremely exciting game.   Lidingo capitalized on their opportunities and scored two goals early on.  We were losing 2-0 in the first half... 2-0 is one of the worst leads in soccer; it is very common to see the team leading by 2 at halftime lose the game at the end.

 At half time we regrouped and came out strong; scoring a goal in just the first five minutes.  Lidingo responded and put another one away making it 3-1.  Everyone kept their heads up, we were patient and we knew our time would come.  In the 80th minute we got a free kick. I played the ball to Sofia who chipped the keeper making it 3-2.  Shortly after we scored again making the score 3-3...

 I looked at the clock and I see that we are in extra time. I got the ball, turned and dribbled towards goal and got taken down from behind right outside the 18.  The ref gave us a free kick. I set the ball down and Sandra our forward came up to me and said, "I want this!!" Looking at her I could see complete focus surrounding her face; she was in the zone that every athlete wants to be in.."thinking about absolutely nothing, when it is absolutely necessary." Her strike was fantastic; straight line, low, placed perfectly and it found the back of the net.  The keeper did not have a chance; it was probably one of the best free kicks I have seen.  We all rushed to Sandra in celebration.  Lidingo rushed the ball to the center circle; right when they kicked off the ref blew the whistle to end the game.  We won with just seconds left on the clock!

One thing I like about my team is that even when we are down we still believe that we are going to win. Every game I have played in with IFK I can just sense this "winning" attitude.  Its a great quality to have as a team.  We don't sulk on mistakes or overdo the success. It is never good to focus on what has pasted.  Its about focusing on the next chance and the next opportunity.  This game was a good ending to the first half of the season.

In other news,  now I have a two week break from soccer. Melanie and my cousin Jess are coming to Sweden and they get here tomorrow!! We are going to explore Stockholm, Gavle, and a few other places.  I am excited to share my Swedish adventure with them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment