Friday, June 1, 2012

"Whatever comes out of these gates, we've got a better chance of survival if we work together. Do you understand? If we stay together we survive"

The pregame speech..

About an hour before the game starts the coach comes into the locker room and gives the pregame speech.. I think what is said before the game is important.  I have had many different coaches with many different styles.  I have experienced tacticians, philosophers, the inspirational/motivational, the profound few word coach, and a coach that combines it all. As a player, during these speeches I hear the coach talking and I am listening but sometimes it is a blur..  I retain certain words and focus on them.  In the past its been words and phrases like "take the risk", "play outside your comfort zone", "courage", "work", "trust", "express yourself", "make em' look good", "perform".  All I know is that my heart rate raises and I am even more excited to play after the talk!

My youth team had a game on Tuesday, after some tactical talk I decided to quote Maximus in one of my favorite movies; The Gladiator.

"Whatever comes out of these gates, we've got a better chance of survival if we work together. Do you understand? If we stay together we survive"

After I stated the quote I said, "Whatever comes out of these gates, we've got a better chance of winning if we work together. Do you understand? If we attack together and defend together we will win this game!"

Then, I listed three words and defined them.

COURAGE: Have the courage to take the risk and express yourself

TRUST: Trust in yourself, your abilities and your team

WORK: No one works harder! In practice we work so hard that after we have nothing left.. Lets transfer that to the field. I don't care if Marta herself walks out those "gates" we set the intensity and we will win this game.

And of course go out there and HAVE FUN! Nu kor vi! Lets go!!

I know some of this stuff is cheezy but I think there needs to be more of this. After the speech I had a good feeling about the game, the girls seemed ready. I think I might have been more amped up for the game than the players.  We ended up losing the game but they played the best soccer I have seen them play so far! It felt like a win. We have a lot to work on but I was really proud of them!

Last night my team had an away game verse Tierp. I had a good feeling about the game and felt that we were ready! The first half went by fast and we ended the half 0-0.  The second half Tierp scored an unlucky goal.. We fought the whole game and we played well. I thought we were the better team and held more possession.   We created some solid opportunities but could not find the back of the net.  Soccer can be a crazy game sometimes. 


Now we have practice today and an away game in Stockholm tomorrow! I'm excited to play again and I am hungry for the win!  My team is great and we have some amazing personalities on and off the field.  Tomorrow is a new day and a new game. We are going for nothing less than 3 points!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment