Sunday, May 20, 2012

"Nothing is learned from success" African Proverb

This past week we had two games; one against Stromsbro and another verse Bele Barkarlaby.  We tied both games. I'm glad we came away with the point but I felt like we deserved to win.

 After the game I had some flashbacks of certain events in my college career.  I feel like  my mind is like my own personal movie theater; sometimes I can just place myself in different events in my life. The images are so vivid.  I don't know why my mind works like it does but after the game  my mind brought me back to my personal finance class. My teacher always said to the class "Nothing is learned from success" Its an old African proverb. I could see myself sitting in the business building listening to my professor give us some life lessons.  There is so much truth to that quote and I have seen it within my own life experiences.  My mind then jumped around and brought me back to my Sophomore year in college.  My team at Florida Southern  was incredible!! I felt like my team was always special but I could not see anyone beating us my sophomore year.   We had a rough start and started the season 2-2..  we realized that it was a bump in a road. we came together and ended up going on a 11 game win streak!!! It was unbelievable.

I am a firm believer in the the thought that your actions are a product of your thoughts.  What you think and see is what you become! I think the psychological part of the game is so important.  I have created my own personal highlight tape in my mind.  I go back to different events within on my career when I was successful and I take in the environment.  I always notice the small details; how I felt, the weather, the fans, the ball, my teammates, etc. I do this in hope that I will be able to replicate and play my best game.  I believe if you can see yourself being successful you will be successful; the mind is very powerful!

I felt good thinking about that particular season at Florida Southern and it made me feel better.  I saw myself and my team as a very successful team. I saw us fail but then I saw us overcome the failure.  I remember everything, the environment, the people, the other teams reactions, and the whole feeling of each win. I can picture my self now playing in the middle with Christina Crooks and Erin Hopkins. I could hear our center back Ashlie Haas giving me direction after playing me the ball.  I can picture our speedy outside backs Lexie Bottomly and Kristen Volmer making runs up and down the flank.  The whole team connected so well all over the field.  I remember watching the highlight videos; a few goals we scored started from Martina our goal keeper.  Every person on the field was involved.  It was 'sexy' savvy soccer.  I remember Princess Haley our forward scoring the winning goal in double overtime to beat St. Leo for the first time in school history.  I remember  all my teammates, coaches, and fans rushing to her in celebration.  That feeling of the win gives me the chills right now. 

We may not have started to season as we liked but we regrouped and had one of the most successful seasons in Florida Southern history! Every time we stepped onto the field we came with the attitude that we were going to win.  Losing was not an option; If the other team scored three goals we were going to score four.

 IFK Gavle reminds me of my team Sophomore year. I see similar personalities all over the field.  We did not have the start we would have liked but I can sense we are on our way to a very successful season and it starts with the game against Hille today! Nu kor Vi!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment