Thursday, May 24, 2012

"The greatest education in the world is watching the masters at work." michael jackson

When I was younger I went to every one of my Dad's indoor soccer game.  I would live at the indoor arena in the winter; if I was not playing I was always watching.  My family and I would go to watch the Boston Breakers when they were in the WUSA, I followed the USA national team, The English premier league, the champions league, etc.  If there was a game on that I could watch, I watched. I was and still am a soccer junkie and in love with the game. 

I feel like watching the game helped me develop as a player.  I believe you can learn just as much or more by just simply watching the game.  I don't think youth players watch enough soccer, especially girls. 

I want my youth team to start watching soccer! Last week I had the perfect oppertunity to get them started.  Tyreso was playing IK Sirius in the Swedish cup. Marta is playing for Tyresö.  They are a team out of Stockholm and  compete in  Allsvenskan (Sweden's top league.)  Tyresö is stacked!! Besides Marta, they have big names such as Lisa Dahlkvist,  and my personal favorite Caroline Seger.   
 The game was at IK Sirius's home field in Uppsala. Uppsala is not far from Gavle so I thought this was the perfect chance for some team bonding.  My girls get to be together, watch some quality high level soccer and see one of the best female players in the world!   


  I met the girls at the train station and we were off to Uppsala.  We got some food and headed to the field.  I was really happy they came to the game and I think they got a lot out of it.  I told them to pick out a player in their position and try and imitate their movements and technique when they play. I want them to become students of the game. 

They all seemed to be big fans of Marta and I asked them "what do you like about her?" "What makes her special?" Marta is a spark. She is technical, speedy and fun to watch.  Marta puts on a show.  She gets people excited about the game.  Every player has a special quality; Marta uses hers to full capacity and sticks out.  I want my players to use their special qualities to become a spark on the field.  By seeing a this spark, hopefully the next time they play they will want to imitate and shine in their own way. 


This past week, the training's with the girls were great. Monday was the best session so far! I tried out some new ideas and they were beyond successful.  The session was on speed of play and creating space.  The girls really grasped all the concepts I threw at them and when we ended in a game they looked like soccer players.  It was fun to watch!   They are gaining confidence and becoming a team! It was one of those days where everything just clicked.

I had practice  with them today and we have a game tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to it! It is another day to play and another chance for them to express themselves.  Now it is up to them to transfer what they have learned into the game!



*More updates to come about my team's last game and the game this Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment