Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special." Jim Valvano

This past Saturday was definitely an adventure! we had a game verse Gamla Uppsala.  A few of our players were missing due to school, injuries, and work so Friday night we only had nine players.  Helena and Linda were going to come watch.  I called them and told her that it would be ok if they did not want to come to this game because we were short on numbers.  Helena told me to ask Linda to play.  Shortly after, I got a few texts from my teammates asking if my friends could play.  I called Linda and she said she would play but she did not have any cleats.  I found her cleats and we were good to go.  We now had eleven players with Linda for the game.

I woke up Saturday morning and there was snow on the ground.  It was absolutely freezing; literally 0 degrees with wind.  We left for the field and got a little lost.  Helena and Linda got there before us.  While they were waiting, they were watching Gamla Uppsala's coaches shovel the field;  they decided to help.  When we pulled up I was trying not to break into hysterics when I found them both shoveling the field. They are the best!

We then tried to get into the locker room but the keys did not work so Linda, Helena, my team and I hopped in the cars again and went to another facility to get ready.  I was so happy Helena got to be in the locker room with us as well. After the pre game talk we ventured back to the fields. 

Linda told me she did not know how good she was going to do because she hasn't played in awhile, but I knew she was going to do great! She always does! My coach played her at right mid. The weather was intense; it was really cold and very windy, but the snow was all off the field (thanks to Linda and Helena) and the sun did come out. 

Throughout the game I thought we had the most possession; especially in the back. We created some good opportunities. In the start of the second half we went down early 1-0. Shortly after,  Mikis, our outside back made a good run forward and played me a ball, I then played a through ball to our left mid Fanny and she sent a great cross to Linda, who finished off a beautiful header!!! It was a fantastic goal!  She celebrated and I jumped into her arms.

 At the moment I had flashback from my college career.  Freshman year, Linda and I were roommates on an away trip.  In our room we were flying from bed to bed like superman; taking pictures and just having a great time.  The next day in the game Linda sent me this beautiful cross and I scored off of a diving header.  Right after I scored my coach took Linda and I out.  As he was coming up to congratulate me on my goal  Linda came running over to me and said "Jackie, Jackie its because of what we did in bed last night.." Without thinking anything of it I said back "Yes, Your right!" My coach looked at us turned around and said he did not want to know. We both got it then and just started to crack up. Later on, I told her what I thought after she scored and she thought the same thing!

 Linda is an incredible player. Its always amazing being on the same field as her.  She is very smart, easy to play with and we work so well together.  Some of my best memories on and off the field are with her.  It is so cool to me that we got to play in Sweden together!! I felt like we started where we left off; like we have never stopped playing together.



The game ended 1-1.  It was so cold but I almost did not want it to end. The game went by fast; I was having so much fun. My team went through a lot of adversity throughout this whole experience but I thought we dealt with it really well!

 Helena, Linda and I seem to always go on some crazy adventures and I'm glad we experienced this one together.  Martina's friends, Lara and Cecilia came to watch us play out in the cold as well.  I was so happy they came and it was so nice to see them all! It meant so much and it was great having them all there!

After the game Helena, Linda and I ventured to Stockholm.  We were all exhausted and passed out on the train.  We met up with my American friends Tessa and Katie.  They are both playing in Sweden as well; they are playing for Mallbacken.  I met Tessa in Finland last year.  She played on the other team in town; KF10 and we became friends.  Katie and I worked together at soccerplus camps for a few years. Now they are roommates in Sweden playing for the same team and they are going to meet me and my friends in Stockholm.  My worlds are colliding and I love it!!!!  It was an unbelievable night. 
 


Sunday we slept in, had good old American food at TGIF's, went jewelry shopping and then went to this museum. The museum had exhibits of different talented photographers.  I liked Steve Schapiro's work! He had a neat background and has documented pictures of Martin Luther King Jr, Muhammad Ali, and the movie The God father (my family favorite) The main exhibit was of pictures that depicted the story of the Kony soldiers.  It was intense...  I thought it was horrible when I read about it but when you actually see it, it gives you a whole different perspective on how bad the situation really is.



Sunday night I headed back to Gavle.  On the train back I was just thinking about everything that happened over the weekend and tried not to smile at random;  I felt like so much happened. Besides all the events, I got some important news from back home...My friends Christina Crooks and Jay Prock are now engaged!! I played with Crooks at Florida Southern.  She was the captain of the team and hands down was one of the best leaders I have ever had. What she has, you cant teach.  It was an honor sharing the midfield with her.  She was not only an amazing soccer player but an amazing person as well! She means so much to me and I am beyond happy for both her and Jay!Congratulations!!! I love you guys!

 I always try and make everyday my "best" day but there are some days that always tend to stick out in my head.  They are the ones that are above and beyond the rest. I cant even describe in words how great the day was on Saturday and how awesome the night was. The whole weekend was unforgettable! More adventures to come!

1 comment: