Thursday, April 19, 2012

"Dancing queen, Feel the beat from the tambourine,You can dance,You can jive, Having the time of your life, See that girl, Watch that scene, Dig in the dancing queen" Abba

I come from a family full of DJ's; there is always music playing in my house.  My whole family loves music and are always the first ones to start dancing at any party.  When I was younger I danced for nine years; I quit when I was 13 because I became extremely committed to soccer.  I think coming from a family full of DJ's and my dancing career was a big reason why I excelled in soccer.  In dance I learned how to use both sides of my body and have full control. I also gained some rhythm and foot work.  I brought all of this to the field.

  On one of my first club teams my my coach would bring out his speakers and play music.  It was these African drums and he make up a whole dribbling and juggling routine to the beat. He mixed my two favorite things; soccer and music. I feel in love with this!! One year at soccerplus we did "soccer aerobics" as well.  They had the techno music blasting and we were getting so many touches on the ball.  At Florida Southern we did "Soccercise" which was my coach's version of the dance.  I have learned so many different "dances" on the ball from all my coaches.  I have combined everything that I have learned to create my own routine to teach my players. 


Tuesday I brought speakers to the youth training.  The play list I made consisted of some Swedish music, techno, today's hits and some classics.  The girls saw the speakers and asked me "Ska vi dansar?" (Are we going to dance?) I said, "Ja, Vi ska dansa! (We are going to dance) They looked a little confused but I gave them each a ball, blasted the music and the great dance began.  It was an
extremely technical session and much of what I did with them they have never done before, but they seemed to love it! (I still think I was having more fun then them though) I was very impressed with their willingness to try the new things I was throwing at them and I think they really gained alot from this session.  The next step is to transfer this particular rhythm to the field! 

To me soccer is a dance; it is a beautiful dance! Games are full of improvisation and many different rhythms. There are passing rhythms, shooting rhythms, dribbling rhythms, etc.  If you can get a team on the same rhythm it will be a creative and fun performance to watch.

Here is a fun video I found of the "great dance" Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment