Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~T.S. Eliot


This past Saturday was the start to the second half of the season. I had a good feeling before the game.  We had a strong, good week of practice and with our goals in mind we were prepared for the fight. 

  When we were walking out with the other team at the start of the game I heard some of TuWe's players on the other team say something about Americans.  I don't know a lot of Finnish but I knew they were talking about us.  I just smiled and in our team huddle on the field I told the girls what I had heard.  They told me that they were talking about the Americans and the Swedish speaking people on our team. I have been learning swedish so I guess I am at a real disadvantage. I am an American that can speak Swedish.   It is crazy to me how people are towards us because we all do not speak Finnish.  It just added more fuel for the fire. 

 The game started out good; everyone was clicking and our passes were connecting.  We scored two goals in the first half.  Linda scored a nice goal off of a half volley and then our youngest player (Totti) finished off of a cross.  We created numerous scoring opportunities throughout the game and limited TuWe's chances.  In the 80th minute TuWe had a corner; Jamie did a good job boxing it away and then smothered the ball.  A girl on TuWe ran into Jamie and fell over her after she had the ball.  The ref called a PK.. It was the worst call that I have ever seen!! I have never seen anything like this before.  Everyone was freaking out! Despite the adversity we continued to fight and keep TuWe on their defensive third.  The game ended 2-1.  A great victory and a well played match.  Now its back to another good week of training to prepare for our game on Saturday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment