Monday, October 13, 2014

Jack Sparrow: "True enough, this compass does not point north." Elizabeth Swan "...Where does it point?" Jack Sparrow: "It points to the thing you want most in this world."

It is 2am, I cant sleep so I turn on the TV and one of my favorite movies is playing; Pirates of the Caribbean. The Curse of the Black Pearl.

This tale, this legend involves the famous pirate Captain Jack Sparrow and a young black smith Will Turner.  Together they set off to save the love of Will’s life; Elizabeth Swan as well as recapture the Black Pearl and recover the treasure that Jack seeks. 

When I turned the TV on Jack and Will are facing a storm, chasing after the Black Pearl. Through the wind, rain, and waves Jack is looking at his compass, a compass that doesn’t point north.


Will Turner: How can we sail to an island that nobody can find with a compass that doesn't work?
Mr. Gibbs: Aye, the compass doesn't point North. But we're not trying to find North, are we?
Watching this scene I thought where does my compass point? What is the thing I want most in this world? So at 2 in the morning watching Captain Jack Sparrow head into the direction of what he wants most I started to draw my own compass and this past weekend this compass I drew became my first tattoo. 


The compass meaning.

Compass: A compass provides direction and guidance. 

Nordic Star: The star symbolizes hope, guidance, aspiration and dreams.

Anchor: The anchor symbolized a sailor who has crossed the Atlantic Ocean. It depicts their love for the sea, along with hope, love and strength.

The Arrows:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Sparrow: The sparrow is actually the same sparrow Johnny Dept (Captain Jack Sparrow) has on his arm.  It symbolizes freedom, bound by no rules or boundaries. Even with this symbolization of freedom this bird also acts as a guide back home. You will never be lost.

Tro Hopp Karlek: These words are placed around my compass and they mean Believe, Hope and Love in Swedish. 

XII, III, and IV: The numbers represent the numbers on a clock.


My Meaning

I don’t know what direction I am heading in or what will come my way but I am in the search for what I want most.

I feel everyone holds a light; this light can give people hope.  It is a light towards a dream, towards something bigger than myself and I hope this Nordic star can guide me.

I did not cross the Atlantic on a boat but I have crossed the Atlantic and been on a great adventure.  I have a love for the sea, the ocean, etc.  I think the Sea has a great healing power both physically and mentally.

I placed the sparrow in the Northeast of the tattoo because that is where I come from in the US. I value my freedom and I live without boundaries but when I am lost I can always find the place where I came from.

I wrote believe, hope and love in Swedish because I have lived in Sweden now for three years and I want it to represent my time here. I can speak the language fluently. I think it is beautiful…

 If you really look at the star you can see that it is broken. The parts that are in black are a bit empty. The tattoo artist told me if would be better if I filled those parts fully because in time the tattoo will become smaller and the black will fill in on its own and it will be whole. To me, that was perfect!! There are holes I need to fill and things I want to achieve and in time I will be full.

You never know how much time you have. I am in search of something and don’t know where my compass points. I am in search of believing in something, in search of finding hope, in search of love.  At times I have found these things, lost these things and I am continuing to search.

I have had struggles. I have had difficulties and I have also had some of the greatest experiences and experienced such happiness. I feel like when that feeling comes it is almost to good to be true… Now I am in a new search. I want to shoot myself into that direction I seek and am ready to launch into something great!

Jack Sparrow: "True enough, this compass does not point north."
Elizabeth Swan "...Where does it point?"
Jack Sparrow: "It points to the thing you want most in this world."

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Swan as well as recapture the Black Pearl and recover the treasure that Jack seeks. compass tattoo meaning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you provide the needed information and bitcoin to bank account amount, we exchange and send you the money instantly.

    ReplyDelete