Saturday, October 4, 2014

"A joy that is shared is a joy made double" English proverb

One of my best friends is 80 years old… Her name is Joanne.  Joanne has known me since before I was born. She babysat my mom and then my self as well as every one of my siblings. 

She was there for me when I was sick and I knew her as the “water lady” Every time she came over she would make sure that I had water. If I didn’t she would bring me a giant cup and say, “Drink your water. It will save your life.” To be honest I think it did. I hated it and I hated water but I really do think it was a big factor in my survival.


Joanne lives right next to a soccer field. I would run to the field, train and then go visit her after. She would tell me that it was “too hot to play” or “I train to much” and then make me sit down next to her and drink a “big glass of water” as well as make me eat. Every time I go over there she wants to give me something of hers whether it is a small gesture of food or literally something from her wardrobe. I think she would give me her left arm if she could.  She is the most generous and best person I have ever met.

We talk about anything and everything. When I go over and visit I know I will be there for at least 2 hours and I enjoy every second of it.

When Meghan died I had a really hard time. I started to become really homesick.. On top of that that the club I was coaching for screwed me over $1000.. I had worked my ass of for that money and did not get very much to say the least. So I had nothing.

 I was thinking of quitting playing and I missed my family. My family was struggling with a lot then, financially and other things. I did not want to add my sorrows onto their shoulders as well.

Joanne called me. I was sitting outside on this bench and I told her about Meghan and that I wanted to quit playing and drop out of school. My grades were bad, soccer did not feel right and I just felt horrible. She asked me if I missed my family.. I said yes. She asked, “Do they know?” I said “no.” I was crying quite hysterically at this point and she gave me some of the best advice I could get. “TELL THEM. TELL THEM HOW YOU FEEL. They miss you to. It will be ok.”

I told them and went home for Easter and it was the best thing for me; to go home and to see the people I love. Then it also made me realize how much I loved Florida and that I need to straighten out. My grades went up but soccer still didn’t feel the same. Not until I met Tracy Jones at soccerplus (another conversation that had a major impact on my life)

Last week I received some extremely sad news.  Joanne’s daughter has Parkinson’s disease; she passed away at a young age. My heart broke..

I called Joanne and when she picked up the phone and said hello I could hear and feel this extreme sadness that I have never felt from her and then she heard that it was me on the other line and that sadness turned into this extreme joy.. It was like I took this sadness from her, even if it was just for just for a second. It took everything in me not to start crying on the phone. This call just gave her so much joy. She was so happy to talk to me. A simple phone call…  I am one of her joys. She is mine.

I have my last game with Tyreso today. There is so much I have to thank them for.. I found my soccer joy. When I play I want to spread that. I want people to come watch me play so I can be the reason to make a difference, to make someone happy. To be a joy.. So many bad things happen everyday all around the world.. But then you have moments, moments of joy. Cherish these moments and spread it.




No comments:

Post a Comment