Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The vision that you glorify in your mind, the ideal that you enthrone in your heart, this you will build your life by, and this you will become. - Anonymous


Its always an adventure… but a great one!! After a few delays I arrived in Sweden Wednesday night.  I had my first job with TikiTaka on Friday.  I met Borje and Tony Gustavsson; my bosses, at Tyreso's stadium; Tyresovallen. We met early and talked for a while.  We spoke about the plans for TikiTaka, what it is al about.  Tony was saying that we are educating quality coaches and developing players. Everything is quality!! They said that our main focus is on helping players, clubs and coaches achieve their dreams and reach their full, true potential. The conversation was getting my blood pumping! We have exactly the same views and same amount of passion; it is almost scary! 

Friday Tony had a 90-90 session with the coaches of Tyreso.  I introduced myself and met every individual coach. Tony gave a presentation to the coaches on the TikiTaka philosophy for 90 minutes. They we went to the field and he put the coaches through a 90 minute training session. It is extremely important that the coaches  actually experience what they will be coaching.  It was incredible and an amazing first day.


Afterwards, Tony and Borje said that on Saturday I would be in charge. I would have over 100 players, 20 coaches and one field! They said that the goal of this  clinic was for me to put the coaches through "TikiTaka" exercises and then give them the opportunity to coach.  I would be the one to guide them. 

The first thought in my head was, WOW! My first day I will be out of my comfort zone!   I work best when I am not in my comfort zone! I will be in charge of one of the best clubs in Sweden!!  Am I dreaming?  Lets do this!





I arrived to Tyreso pretty early on Saturday.  I gathered the coaches and had a meeting before the clinic. I showed them how I wanted the field to be organized and how the session was going to be run. I split the field up into four parts and I had a "demo" group in the middle. I was going to take the kids through a technical warm up, the kids would get a water break, I would demonstrate 3-4 drills and then they would find their coaches and the coaches would put their teams through the exercises. 


Before we went onto the field, I could tell the coaches were looking at me like "who is this girl?" I love the challenge and it is always fun to "shock" people. In our coaches meeting I told them that, what I am giving them is an outline but each exercise can be tweaked. It can be easier, more challenging or cater to a particular topic.  

We hit the field! I introduced myself to the players and the warm up began! The coaches were standing around and within minutes I looked up and saw them all frantically taking notes and some were even taking videos of me with their phones! The warm up was fun; the players were laughing and having a great time! I sent them for a water break told the coaches where I wanted them to stand with their teams to watch the demo. Then it began! I put one group though 3 drills quickly and then all the players went to their space on the field. 

I went around to each group and asked questions on what factors they could change to make it more challenging or a little easier. I asked them questions like "What factor can we change to focus on changing speed and direction quicker?" I asked every group different questions and some groups were already tweaking the drills on their own. The outline I created was perfect because you can make 20-30 different variations off of just 3 drills!! I brought them back into the demo group a few more times and continued to oversee the groups and of course we ended with playing! There is nothing better than playing the game itself.  The game is the best teacher!  

After the session was over every coach came up to me and shook my hand and said they felt inspired and had a really great time! They were impressed with the field set up and how it did not feel like there were 100 kids on one field.. there was still space left over!! They were all looking at me in a different way from when they had first met me. I have "won the hearts of the mob" 

There were a few players on the Tyreso Junior team that were in the session as coaches and they asked it they could join and watch me when I coach the players.  Tony and Borje asked me later if I would mentor them as well! I was honored! It will be great to have more player coaches!! I started coaching when I was their age and I am extremely lucky with the mentors and role models I have; it was nothing but the best!!  Now it is my turn to pass it on! 


I was on the bus back and I got a call from Borje. He was extremely happy and told me that the director of Tyreso called him and said that I brought happiness to the whole club… That meant so much and I felt like I was high, I was so happy; I couldn't sit still.

I called Tony shortly after and told him everything. I told him that the night before I went though my session so many times in my head; that I had a vision and today my vision came to life, but reality turned out to be better than I imagined! Tony said, he understood exactly what I was feeling and told me that he loves it because if he can inspire 10 coaches and those coaches use his vision then he has reached out to over 200 players!!!! I never thought of it like that and it just added to my excitement.  I never thought I would like "coaching, coaches" so much! 


I could not ask for a better start!  How could it get better? but then it did! I went and met my Swedish some of my best friends and celebrated the day with a great dinner and great people! 

While I am in Stockholm I am staying with my friend, Therese's parents! They are all the best and I am so happy to be staying with them! 

On Sunday I took the train to Borlange and I met my new team for the first time. We met at a ski resort. It was a team bonding event! Everyone seems so nice and I have a great feeling about the season!


I had my first physical training with my team last night! It was great and I will update you more about my adventure so far in Borlange and about my new team; Gustafs GoIF!


I will be very busy to say the least; playing, coaching, living in two different cities.. I love it! It is definitely my style  and I extremely grateful for these new and upcoming opportunities both as a player and as a coach. 

Extra!!

I have been making videos for TikiTaka and here is the video I have posted on my Facebook, twitter, etc It is technical work that I have learned from coaches in the past and also drills I created on my own! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment