Friday, July 8, 2011

NO. 48 Probability of Success: Excellent You have both birds already in hand. You shall inherit the entire land. Give a good show before the grandstand. All will applaud, so will the brass band.

This past christmas I brought my family to New York City to see a broadway show.  We left our house really early in the morning and spent the whole day in New York City.  It was so much fun and it will always be known as one of my favorite days.  I brought them to China town and we went into this buddha temple.  They had fortune cookies, so everyone in my family bought one.  My fortune was NO. 48...

On Wednesday I juggled in the market place.  I got there a little early to claim a "spot."  I was on a platform.  The marketplace was jammed packed; there were so many people. I had my ball, a pretty big boom box, and a hat for tips.  The first show started at 5.  Jamie cranked up the music and I started to juggle.  When I juggle all I see is the ball and I hear the beat; I don't see anyone around me and I rarely hear anything else.  It is hard to explain, but about 20 seconds into my routine I hear Jamie's voice and she said, "Oh my god, so many people are coming! Keep going, keep going.. More people are coming!" I juggled for about 15 minutes and when I looked up there was a huge crowd.  It was incredible! So many people were coming up and throwing euros in my hat. 



The next show I moved and performed to the side of another stage where this band was setting up.  The drummer was working with the sound guy, making sure each section of his drum was in tune.  I started juggling to his beat; they saw me and kept on drumming.  The beat was perfect and everything just seemed to flow.  It was great and total street. The crowds continued to grow.

I did the rest of my shows back on the platform. I did not stop juggling till about 8.  I took some breaks but I had so many shows.  Jamie and Kerstin were great with the crowd; they were yelling the whole time and got the crowd to clap to the beat constantly. A lot of my teammates, some of the guys on the men's team and many of my new friends were there watching.  It was the first time they all got to really see all of my tricks at once and I was so happy I got to perform for them.   During my break I started picking out kids and teaching them how to do different tricks; I was pretty impressed with a few of them.  Every time I took a break; I saw more and more people waiting at the bottom of the platform for the next show, it was really neat. I did not think my juggling could cause this much of a commotion.


When I used to go to the beach with my family I would always bring my soccer ball.   When sunset hit I would start juggling and I would draw a bunch of crowds.  My parents told me to put out a hat but I was to shy. Now I am over my shyness and this past Wednesday turned into a day I will never forget.  I was not sure if people would really stop and watch me but it ended up being above and beyond what I expected.

 I keep thinking about my fortune in New York. I had "both birds in one hand" my ball and my music. "You shall inherit the entire land," I felt like the whole town was there watching. "Give a good show before the grandstand.  All will applaud, so will the brass band," I juggled to the "brass" drums, my hat was full and the people were all cheering. I felt like I was in one of my dreams but this was better...




1 comment:

  1. This is all SO cool. You're also a great writer...seriously.

    Finland is lucky to have such an incredible person! :)

    ReplyDelete